Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Gingerbread Tradition

Since this is our last year of Gingerbread Houses with Parents as Teachers, I've been thinking about a way we could continue the tradition of building the houses to prepare us for the holidays. I love tradition and I don't always feel like I am passing on traditions from my childhood. I want to have some traditions that Amber and Amy can pass onto their children.

A couple of weeks ago, the girls and I were invited to a gingerbread house making party. (Dave was invited too, but opted not to go.) The concept was very much like a home show type thing, except you knew what you were going to buy. All we had to do was show up. The houses were already built by "the gingerbread lady".
The gingerbread lady brought bagged icing and had a tray of candy and you could decorate your house any way you wanted. The girls had a LOT of fun. They LOVED squeezing the bagged icing.
And you can see they turned out quite a masterpiece.


So now that there is are options out there, I will have to decide how to carry on our gingerbread house tradition. Have a party, or make my own?

2 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this party thing. That is really cool. I've been feeling the same way lately about making memories and traditions that my kids can pass on. I was going to have a few moms and kids over to decorate cookies but came up with the idea too late and everyone's calendar is jammed. I hope I can remember to do it next year, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is a very fun idea. i have friends who have gingerbread house decorating contests as couples. some of them are so creative! we haven't done a gingerbread house yet this year...we'll see....

    ReplyDelete