Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Holiday Vacation

Over the holidays, we spent 10 wonderful days in Ohio. Dave is from Canton, Ohio, so we travel there usually twice a year. Every other year, we spend Christmas in Canton...this was our year to pack up everything, including all presents, and head to Canton for the holidays. As always we had a wonderful trip. The girls LOVE spending time with their grandparents and cousins. I am always so amazed at how these kids all pick up and start playing as if they saw one another yesterday. In reality, we haven't seen anyone, except Grandma and Grandpa, since July. I know when I was young and hadn't seen my cousins in a while, I was a little shy to begin with, but not these kids. It is really something to see their relationships.
We came home on Saturday, but it was a rough trip. Poor Amber has figured out that when we leave it is going to be a few months before she sees her grandparents and cousins and aunts and uncles. The poor thing cried herself to sleep the night before we left, because she didn't want to come home. She woke up "OK"...that was until Aunt Tammy, Uncle Guy, Missy and Johnathan left for Florida about 30 minutes before us. Then the tears really started again. The poor thing was so sad, and it was absolutely heartbreaking for us to see how sad she was and not be able to do anything about it. She cried herself to sleep in the car again about an hour after we left. And then at bedtime once we were home. She really misses her family. It makes me sad that we live so far away, but yet I am happy that the girls have such a closeness with their grandparents that they do care.
I was particularly close to my Grandma Rahm. I can remember as a child praying that she would never die because I didn't know how I could go about my life without her. As a child she was my best friend. To this day, when things get really challenging, I often wish I still had her to talk to.
This is a picture of me and B.J., my cousins Meredith and Stephanie and my Grandma Rahm. I am the only one not looking at the camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment