Friday, March 19, 2010

Donating Cookies

So the Daisy Girls Scout Cookie sales are done. YEA!!! Actually for me it wasn't that bad. Amber didn't sell many, well actually I sold them all. But that is beside the point. When I decided to be the Daisy Leader, it was because I thought it was something Amber would really enjoy (but not without her mama). She does love it, and to tell you the truth, so do I. I have a troop of 15 girls, 10 kindergartners and 5 first graders. All are great girls. I love when I go up to school and I hear little girls voices yelling to me, "Hi Ms. Milli!" or they run up to hug me, it is just so sweet!

Back to Girl Scout Cookies, one of the programs that the cookie sales offers is called "Gifts of Caring". This is for those people who want to buy cookies from the girls, but don't really want/need the cookies. Those cookies can be donated. If the girl sells 10 boxes of Gift of Caring cookies, they earn a patch. Now I have to make a confession, I bought all 10 boxes of Amber's Gift of Caring cookies. But really, there was a lesson to be taught here. Of course, I explained to her why I bought them, but we didn't get cookies. There is also one other little girl in our troop that sold 10 boxes of Gift of Caring cookies. (Her mom just happens to be the cookie manager for our troop. HA HA!) We chose to donate the 20 boxes of cookies to the Saline Valley Fire Department.

So, tonight we took the two girls to the fire department to deliver their cookies after school.

Both were VERY excited. I cannot tell you what a rewarding experience this was for the girls and myself. The firemen were so thankful.

They gave the girls both a plastic fire helmet.

They showed off the fire truck, opening EVERY cabinet and explaining what every tool was used for.

Then they took us on a ride in the fire truck around the block. HOW AWESOME IS THAT!! Once we got back from our ride, they took us on a tour of the firehouse, show us the kitchen, bunk rooms, chiefs office, you name it, we saw it.

Since my dad is a retired firefighter, this was stuff that I got to do on a regular basis as a kid. But I never realized until today what a treat that was. I am so thankful to those guys for making those two little girls feel so welcome and giving them such an awesome experience.

So, next year when you buy your cookies from your local and favorite girl scout, throw in an extra package for the "Gift of Caring". Not only are the recipients of the cookies very thankful, but it teaches the girls selling the cookies so great lessons.

2 comments:

  1. Really cool. I remember that your dad was a firefighter so I can imagine how excited you were. I always do the Gift of Caring (I don't know if that is a new term or not) because I'm not crazy about the cookies but I always donate the $$.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh that is cool! i'll have to remember this in the future b/c i didn't get any cookies this year dang it! i love that you are the daisy leader...how fun is that!

    ReplyDelete