Saturday, November 21, 2009

Me, Myself and I


So, I guess I'll start by telling a little about myself. Doesn't everyone love to talk about themselves...HA! I promise I'll keep it short.

I was born on July 17, 1972, that makes me 37 years old. I was born in St. Louis, Missouri, at the old St. Anthony's Hospital that was down in the city. I was raised a South City girl. I lived in the same house until I was 18 and then my family moved into my grandparents house. I went to Kindergarten and 1st Grade at a city school called Windsor. This was at about the time that they were starting the desegregation of the city schools and the teachers went on strike for about 6 weeks in the middle of the school year. That was also the end of my public school tenure. I then attended St. John's Lutheran School, also in the city. As every St. Louisan is dying to know, I went to high school at Lutheran High School South. I was not an athlete. The only thing I really enjoyed doing was singing. I sang in the choir in high school, and also my first year of college. My singing voice is not great, but I can get by with singing out loud in public...HA!

My first year of college I went to a small college called Blackburn College. I thought I wanted to be a teacher, but decided, at 19 years old, there wasn't enough money in that career. Little did I know then that the rewards that you receive in teaching cannot be assessed with a monetary value. I transferred to Southeast Missouri State. I LOVED my college experience there. I joined a sorority, Sigma Sigma Sigma, and met and lived in a house filled with my best friends. When asked, this is always the period in my life that I wish that I could revisit. I started as a nursing major, but after failing Anatomy and Physiology the first time, changed my major to Health Management.

I finished my college career in 5 short years, and came home thinking I knew it all...little did I know. I worked at several places before I finally settling down. I started at Nutri System. Then I got a job as a Fitness Center Supervisor at the Charles Melvin Price Support Center. I loved that job! But the government decided that money would be better spent elsewhere and decide to close the army base. I then got a job as a Fitness/Wellness Program Coordinator at the National Imagery and Mapping Agency, now called NGA. That is where I met my husband, Dave. I am going to dedicate a day to everyone in my family, so more about Dave later. I worked at NIMA/NGA for 5 years, to the day. I worked full-time until I had Amber, then part-time until I had Amy. I met some very dear friends there, that helped me through some really rough patches in my life.

Fast-forward to today, I have two beautiful daughters, Amber is 6 and Amy is 4 1/2. Everything I do today is for them. I stay home with them and only work when Dave is available to keep them. I am fortunate that I have been able to do that. I remember thinking when Amber was very young and about to start daycare, I am not sure anyone can do this as well as I can. I know that sounds selfish, but I truly believe that Dave and myself are the best caregivers for our children.

I thank God for putting me where I am today, in my life and in my mindset. Even though I have had a lot of trials over the last few years, I know that it is all a part of God's plan for me.

2 comments:

  1. How funny, when I was a cartographer I worked for SAIC who contracts out for NGA. Small world! I wish I could go back and visit the college days sometimes, too, but definitely not all of my DRAMA.. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really liked reading that so now i can't wait for each day to learn about each one in your family! very cool!!! i completely agree...i don't think anyone can care for my children better than me & james & i think it's so wise of you to realize that for your own girls. this time you & dave have with your girls is priceless & the most influential for them so why not have it be you & their dad? see...don't you love blogging?:)

    ReplyDelete